Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Moving on....

Hello everyone!
Thank you for all your emails and posts over the last few days—they provided a well-needed balance to a few considerably less positive evaluations of my race. Don't get me wrong, there is little negativity surrounding my race, but you all know how the human brain tends to focus on the negative rather than the positive regardless of a favorable distribution. For a while, I was racking my brain over what could possibly have gone that wrong. Alex and I will, eventually, think about this again. However, I got to a point yesterday when I just felt too physically exhausted and emotionally drained to continue worrying about it. One of the possible conclusions is, for now, anyway, that it may have been a mistake to have taken Ibuprofen when the muscles started pulling initially at about 20 miles, as this may have masked the pain that could have been manageable with a few brief stretches, resulting in pain that almost wasn’t. I tried this in Houston and it worked as it has worked for many other runners in other marathons. Perhaps, given the different conditions here, it backfired…

In any case, having bought a ticket for Aleksandar to watch some track and field yesterday, I found myself enjoying things again and letting go. Here are a few pictures and a brief commentary.


Aleksandar and his big track and field meet in a while. He was quite excited though both of us kept wishing we could share the experience (yes Albert, Malaika and co.- we should totally make it to London if not as athletes at least as spectators!)


At first we were not sure about how Aleksandar’ seat will be, which was at about 150m before the finish line, right next to the pole vault competition. Little did we know it was to be the hottest seat in town that night. It was unbelievable to watch Elena Isinbaeva compete against herself and overcome not only the Olympic record, but also the World Record! The pictures show her getting one last piece of advice from her coach and then the celebrations following the event. The movie clip does little to capture the atmosphere on the stadium.

The moment was quite magical. There were no other events—it was just her and her pole. The stadium just erupted at the end in comparison to the rest of the competition. It’s like everyone was just holding back the whole night—both Alex and I were quite disappointed with the atmosphere in general, which, compared to your classic European meets, had a lot less clapping and overall excitement. Perhaps cameras should be banned… Then we, as spectators, would let ourselves to enjoy the moment and engrave it in memory rather than trying to capture it and keep it as evidence of our being there… I am guilty as charged though I at least have this blog as an excuse. J


It was increadible to see just how much better Isinbaeva is compared to everyone else.



That must have been one good piece of advice from her coach as it led to the Olympic Record.



Does one ever get tired of seeing the excitement of a fresh Olympic champion? It's like getting an instant happiness shot. Seriously, next time I'm down, I am going to watch some reruns of the finish of some Olympic finals....



Sadly, we missed the actual event, but it was still fun to see the medal ceremony for 10000meters. I was curious to see Haile all happy in the dinning room (I knew he did not get top three). Once I realized two of his countryment took first and second, I knew what the reason for his infamous big smile was.


Jelimo was DOMINANT in 800m.


We also saw the 400m hurdles final where the three Americans took 1, 2, 3 and the long jump final (though only from a distance). The only really magical and special moment was during the 3000m Steeple Chase final. The race was exciting with a Frenchman getting second in a fabulous finish and an injured runner running his own race, almost getting lapped. He was blowing kisses and waving to the crowd- I thought it was quite refreshing to see someone do something like that. He got huge applaud on every lap.





PS: Those of you who worry about Aleksandar-he did get his visa today and will be able to come back to the US with me. Though he is becoming quite a Beijinger as far as moving around town goes, he said he'd rather avoid living in China :))).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zuzka -
little late, but congrats on your performance, you're one tough cookie! Thanks for representing that little country of ours, we're proud of you!

Juraj
PS: Hope to see you run Boston marathon!

Tammy said...

Your story of courage in the face of adversity is VERY inspiring, and I loved the front page Salt Lake Tribune article on your race. I am going to do my first marathon in October, and I hope that I have half of your courage. Love your blog, too - keep it up! I would like to continue reading about your running exploits in the future.

Karen Marsh said...

Zuzana,

I have never met your husband before, and you guys make one cute couple. What an awesome experience and I am glad you got to do it together.
-Karen

Anonymous said...

2:49 is actually a very decent time considering that you lost 2 minutes on the bathroom and some more time on cramping stops. And then you had to run cramped.
This is a odd thing, but those taper cramps happen quite often. I had one of those at DesNews this year. It was the calf. I think I got a Charlie horse while sleeping a couple of days prior, and then it never went away. Logan Fielding got an odd cramp around mile 21 of the Ogden marathon this year. I wonder if those happen if you taper too fast too much.
I think finishing a race when things go wrong is much harder than winning or running a PR when they go right. Work without immediate pay is always hard. But it mentally prepares you for the future.

Anonymous said...

Zuzana and Alex,
Wow! You guys got to see such great events at the track. I'm so envious that you've seen Yelena Isinbayeva vault in person, and setting a world record at that! That must have been amazing. The DVR has come in handy, and Albert also picked up a dvd recorder so we can make a library of great Olympic moments. Let us know if there's anything you especially want saved. Did you make it out to the Ming Tombs Reservior to see either triathlon race? Don't worry, my feelings won't be hurt if you didn't. :) Enjoy the rest of your experience and let us know if you need a ride from the airport.

Crosstrain said...

Thank you so much for blogging about your race experience. It touched me greatly...at the 2007 Houston marathon, I cramped for several miles and ended up on the ground also with one mile to go. But I too finished.

I am thrilled to be a marathon finisher and I am sure you are thrilled to be an OLYMPIC marathon finisher! That is so awesome.

If you find the root cause and solution to cramping out of nowhere, please blog about it!

Zuzana Tomas said...

Juraj-ano, rada by som Bostonsky maraton niekedy bezala... ale mozno po malej pauze :))).

Tammy: Good luck with your training! It's special to run the first one.

Sasha/"Crosstrain": Thanks for posting. This just goes to show that 99% of runners would have finished that race if they were in my shoes-I did nothing beyond special. Cramps suck... Crosstrain-apparently, no research has conclusively figured out what they are caused by... Let us hope someone does figure this out soon.
Zuzana

Anonymous said...

Sorry Zuzana, I disagree with you. I think it did take something special to finish with the amount of pain you were in. You are amazing.
Sarah

Steve said...

Alex,

Are you gaining weight? Maybe it's just the camera :)

Justin Shepherd said...

Zuzana,

Blahoželám! Vy pre nás veľkým vzorom!!! Ja tiež pracujem v Salt Lake City a mysliem, že vy ste úžasný!

Zuzana Tomas said...

Steve-nope, Alex assured me it's just the T-shirt. Thanks to your email he made me go to the fitness center in the Olympic village just so that he could weigh himself...

The Sheperd family-ste krasna rodinka. Dakujem za mily koment!

Steve said...

Thanks to your email he made me go to the fitness center in the Olympic village just so that he could weigh himself...

LOL! That doesn't suprise me one bit.