Monday, August 11, 2008

A Cool Morning in Bejing-could this really be?

I woke up to a cool morning in Beijing (it had rained the whole night). I could not believe that there is such a thing as not being too uncomfortable running here in August. I did 14k (about 9miles) running loops around the village at about 4:10km/6:35mile pace. Then I went to a mondo (tartan) surface loop and did six laps maraton pace. I have asked four different coaches how long the loop was and I got the following answers: Coach 1: 1000m, Coach 2: 900m, Coach 3: 950m, Coach 4: 925m). Whatever it was, I ran 3:27 per lap and I am guessing it was 5.4k worth of 3:45km/6:00 mile pace. Overall, I ran 22k (about 13.5miles). It was my last longer workout and I am glad I waited a day. I certainly felt a lot better both physically and mentally (I could actually see a mountain in the distance - that's how clear the air was!)

How I so wish it would rain the night before the marathon too. Aleksandar has been looking into the effects of heat on the marathon times. Here is what the prognosis is. Supposing I am at 2:38 shape in conditions comparable to those I had in Houston, Texas, where I qualified (60F/16C or below). That projects the following times at the following temperatures and their marathon time equivalents (based on http://www.runworks.com/):

65F/18C: 2:39:01 marathon (3:46.3 per kilometer, 6:04.2 per mile)
70F/21C: 2:40:08.3 marathon (3:47.9 per kilometer, 6:06.7 per mile)
75F/24C: 2:41:21.5 marathon (3:49.6 per kilometer, 6:09.5 per mile)
80F/27C: 2:42:40.8 marathon (3:51.5 per kilometer, 6:12.5 per mile)
85F/29C: 2:44:06.0 marathon (3:53.5 per kilometer, 6:15.8 per mile)
90F/32C: 2:45:37.3 marathon (3:55.7 per kilometer, 6:19.3 per mile)

I refuse to even look at the temperatues and time equivalents of anything warmer than that. Obviously, other factors such as wind, humidity, course will play a role on the day....

Anyway, this post is probably only interesting to you runners, if at all, so off I go to live some experiences so I can write about them :)))).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Zuzana, your workouts sound awesome. Time to show the world what training in Utah can do. You're gonna do great.

I suggest using Randy or I for movie recommendations in the future :)

Run Zuzana Run!

Neal G.

Anonymous said...

Good work, Zuzana. Even though I'm no runner, I wanted to say that all your posts are interesting, including this one. I've been away from a computer, so got to read the last few days posts in one sitting. I was tired after sitting in the cab too! Glad the weather and your spirits turned... Thanks for keeping us up to date while you are working so hard. We're all pulling for you!
--Valoree

Steve said...

Now I know what Aleks is doing with his downtime here at work.

Zuzana Tomas said...

Poor, poor Alex...always in trouble with someone :)))

BTW, Thank you so much Steve for giving him all that time off. Having him here during the race is going to be so special. I cannot even imagine not having his arrival to look forward to. Thanks again.

Linden said...

That cab ride sounded awful, but I'm glad to hear that you got a good last long workout in! You know, I think they should have a shuttle for all the marathoners that take them along the course so it would be easy to see what you will be running. But that's just my idea. :)

Steve said...

It's my pleasure. Relax, and have a great race!

Anonymous said...

Being one of the MOST talented athelets in the WORLD, representing your country in a venue where MILLIONS of us can just watch, has to be one of life's most incredible experiences. You have earned the right to be EXTREMELY proud of your talent and the ability to run with the best. Your training has taken you to this level, now count on your positive mental perspective to carry you to the finish knowing you have what it takes to succeed!!