Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bye Bye Vancouver, Beijing here I come

AFter a lovely sunny morning in Vancouver, which made running a 20k run much easier, I got to the airport. I have checked in and am waiting on board on a flight to Beijing. As a saavy apprentice to Dr. Palmer (my friend Jennifer VanDyke's personal hero), I tried to get myself a seat in the business class (dream big, right?). My friend Abby once told me that while being an Olympian will not change who I am, it will change how, at times, people treat me. She said playing the O card works real well sometimes and you get favors and privilages you would not otherwise even dare to dream of. I guess she was partly righ. While the O card may have not gotten me a business class, I am getting the first economy seat with extra leg space (are you proud of me, Dr. P? :)))). It's probably going to come back and bite me though-I bet I will end up sitting next to a crying baby the whole way.

I've bought some Vancouver 2010 Olympic pins at the airport. I figured, if the Slovak team does not have any official pins, this should give me some serious trading power. Afterall, I have promised Kristen an Olympic pin....

I was thinking to myself just this morning-how strange it is that I left Salt Lake City where the Olympics took place just to have to make a stop in Vancouver where the Olympics will take on the way to Beijing where, technically, the Olympics are taking place right now.... It seems kind of symbolic of something...can't quite decide what. Any ideas? Albert, can you come up with something meaningful? Some metaphor for life perhaps? :)))

In any case, I'd better go to the GATE so I don't end up stranded in Vancouver yet again :)))).

3 comments:

John said...

Zuzana - Best of luck, I am enjoying the blog.

Unknown said...

Good luck Zuzka. We are so proud of you !

Anonymous said...

I am loving your journal, Zuzana. I should be your agent -- you need someone from the Northeast to convince them to move you up in to first class! Actually, you probably need Scott Boras, but he's evil (ask Alex who he is).

Thinking of you, and sending you lots of positive energy from Paris!