Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm here, now what?

All righ Beijing, here I am. Sitting in the Slovak Olympic Committee office in the Olympic village with no one around....? I figured, I can as well do a bit of email checking and blog posting before someone shows up.

The trip was relatively uneventful, but the airport in Beijing was electrifying. It was just buzzing with excitement and confusion and more excitement and more confusion. At all times, you had three volunteers attacking you, eager to help (I wonder if they will be able to maintain this 10,000 athletes later :))). On the shuttle I sat next to Thijs van Valkengoed, a Dutch breaststroke swimmer who made it to the semis in Athens and is hoping to do a lot more here. Interestingly, he has a sister who will swim the same event here (well, women's, of course). We talked 40 minutes non-stop so despite me being tired from the journey, the trip to the olympic village seemed refreshing.

When I got off the shuttle, the heat hit me. It feels bad. REALLY BAD- I think my mother-in-law captured it well when she said it will kind of feel like running the marathon in the sauna... oh, well, the same conditions for everyone I guess. Ok, I am hearing some sounds so i will be back later.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zuzana, I'm so proud of you! I'm going to brag to everyone that I know you. (Zuzana, for sure, is my official hero now. Sorry, Dr. P.) Everyone in the Linguistics department and at the U of U and in Slovakia is cheering for you!
Run, Zuzana, Run!
-Jennifer Van Dyke

Anonymous said...

Zuzana~ Hello from Montana~
We are keeping you in our prayers~so very proud of you~

Get plenty of rest~ and we will be watching for you~ Coco Chanel will be barking at your heels saying~
"RUN ZUZANA RUN"

BIG HUGS from Naomi and Don

Anonymous said...

Ahoj Zuzi
konecne sa podarilo aj nam pridat komentar:). tento blog bol super napad! tesime sa aj na fotky a ostatne zazitky z miesta OH.
Kedy pride Alex za Tebou? Ako sa byva v olympijskej dedine?
Ako zvladas behy, ked je take dusno? Odfot sa potom aj v tej maske, som zvedava, ako to vobec vyzera.
Kika