Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A busy day at two different venues


Today was a good day. I ran my last workout (more like a tune-up than a workout). I did 3x1000m in 3:23, 3:19, and 3:20. I felt a little stiff, which is perhaps not surprising after a day off. After the workout I went to the gymnastics venue and saw the US women lose to the Chinese women. The event was pretty fun to watch-the Chinese audience went CRAZY. I will try to post some short videos though I have not had much luck with posting those…

After I had lunch I was determined to go to the road cycling time trial to show support for one of the Slovak riders. Also, the race took place close by the infamous Great Wall so I was eager to get out of now a muggy, smoggy Beijing again and check out the Great Wall area. However, I missed the morning shuttle due to gymnastics so I hoped on a cab-a big mistake-it took two hours instead of one to get there. But in the end it was worth it. I saw about one third of the riders finish the race and then I sneaked in for the medal ceremony, catching some glorious glimpses of the top three. I yelled out “Awesome job Levi” for Naomi and Don and he yelled back “Thank you Butte, especially the Kronenberg Ranch!”. OK, not quite, but he smiled big. In fact, they were all so happy…. It just makes you know that they are clean. Then again…

Here is a few pics from the day. Most are self-explanatory. The one with all the kids was kind of interesting. All these boys and girls were just hanging out, supervised by their strict looking teachers cheering like they had been paid for it when the riders went by. I guess they were allowed to miss a day of school provided they would cheer. Hang on, there is no school in August…. The whole situation reminded my of the communist charade (the marches, etc). when I was little... But the kids were worth it! One boy was really cute in particular- your typical class clown- the only kid brave enough to try to use his English on me. This was our exchange:

The Chinese boy (CB): Hello
ZT: Hi-how are you?
CB: Fine.
ZT: Very fine or only a little bit fine? (smile)
CB: Very, very fine. Where are you from? (kids start gathering looking curious and excited)
ZT: Slovakia and you?
CB: China.
ZT: (Looking really surprised): no way! (All kids laugh. I give the boy a Slovak Olympic pin- it pains me for a second to not use it for trading, but then I see a smile on the boy’s face bigger than any pin in the world. I think to myself: "That was one pin well spent!"

The one picture with the soldier was taken on the course-I got to chat with them a bit through the interpreter. He wanted to take one with me using his camera so I thought I should take one too…

Tomorrow is going to be more quiet day as I am going to start focusing on getting ready for the race-probably no more major distractions from now on. I think I will watch events on TV and try to stay off my feet.













20 comments:

SB said...

Zuzana! I am so excited for you, I didn't even know that you had made it! I will be cheering for you loudly here in SLC--good luck,

Sarah Brooks

Unknown said...

Hi Zuzana,
Saw KSL's report on you. Very nice. Your blog is wonderful, and I feel that I am with you just a little bit. Looking forward to more!
Best, Corky

Brother said...

Ahoj ZUZKA. Hi everybody on blogspot.
Dennodenne nav�tevujem aj tvoj blog. Super fotky,super z�itky.. V�etko ti nahravam na DVD. Posielam blaho�elanie k meninkam a prajem vela vela sily, odvahy do tvojho OLYMPIJSKEHO d�a. RUN Zuzka z M�tka RUN. Sme s tebou. Brother Du�o.

hlín said...

Hey, Zuzana!
Great to see you in Beijing! We're cheering for you. I watched the women's gymnastics last night. Such amazing performances from the Chinese women! And it was kinda moving how strongly the crowd was with them. I was sad for Alicia Sacramone, though.
Good luck and thanks for the blog!
Heather

ww said...

Hi Zuzka! I saw the news reports about you on the two different news shows last night (that is, the evening news and the nighttime news). You're a natural! I told you that you were very TV-friendly... It was nice to see you. I LOVED the story about you talking to the Chinese boy. It is so fun to read your blog. <3

Anonymous said...

Hi Zuzana! Wow, you've had the chance to go to the same events I would go see if I were in your shoes! Thanks for the awesome updates, I love the pictures and your stories.

Miranda said...

Heard about this blog on KSL TV last night. This is great to see your preparations for your event and experiences at the Olympics. Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Greetings to you Zuzana~
Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures in your BLOG!

Yea! for Levi~ Butte loves him~
His family home is in Don's district 5 County Commish. The famly has a BIKE SHOP in Butte~

Liked the story about the Chinese boy.

How is it going with the room-mates
I hope you are getting plenty of rest~

Don said congrats on your 3x1000m
he was amazed but not surprised
at your speed~

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers
Naomi and Don

Jenny said...

Zuzana! I hope you remember me but I ran with you at the U of U back in 2001-2002. My name is Jenny Fidler (everyone called me Fidler). We used to do workouts together with Charity. Anyway, I also saw you on KSL and wanted to wish you the best of luck! I can't believe you are at the Olympics! You are incredible and I know you'll do a great job. Run hard and best of luck!

Anonymous said...

zuzana, congratulations for being a part of the historic 2008 beijing summer olympics. i got your story at yahoo.com and was able to get your blogsite. it's been great reading your posts as i can imagine being there where the action is. good luck and may god bless you on your race this sunday. hopefully, you will be among the top finishers! you have a nice blog!

Jovie aka Bald Runner
www.baldrunner.com

ww said...

Here is the link to the KSL news story that showed about you on the local news last night:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3997401

Anonymous said...

Ahoj Zuzka,
My name is Iva.My husband and I are from Banska Bystrica.We live in Draper UT now.Heard about you on KSL.Wish you best of luck.Make Slovakia proud.

Anonymous said...

ahoj zuzka,
wow, I can't believe you are in beijing going to run a marathon in the olympics! well done, i saw you at the opening ceremony and will definetely be watching you on the big day as well. it's just so amazing you have achieved this dream - slovak community in brighton is cheering you on. excellent blog by the way - and the interview? as if you've been doing that all your life...you really deserve to be there. good luck!!!
eva, kevin & lucas xxx

Anonymous said...

Caught your story on KSL . . . what a great blog. The big day is getting close. Best of Luck! We will be chearing for you.

Anonymous said...

Zuzana, your blog is absolutely amazing! I have no clue how you find the time to blog so diligently, but it seems as though you are reaching a huge audience through it and have half the world cheering for you on the 17th:)!Just like Karen I have been recruiting fans locally so please know that you have quite a few people in the Netherlands cheering for you as well:)! Also, one of my friend said you should probably check out Holland House sometime during your stay; it is the place where all the Dutch athletes hang out/are interviewed and appearantly quite the venue..Best of luck and enjoy your time there! Dominique

Anonymous said...

Ahoj Zuzanko,
Byli jsme na tebe moc pyšní a měli jsme hroznou radost,že se kamera zastavila na tobě a tak jsi byla moc krásně vidět.
Také jsme si prohlédli tvůj blog- máte pěkné uniformy a moc tě to slušelo. Na maratón se budu dívat v Tunisu, letím za Lindou. Budeme příšerně moc držet palce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Snad zvládáš podnebí a jsi v pořádku. Zdravíme a líbáme Mirka a všichni tady
Papapapapapa

KF7BSF said...

Suzana,

All the linguists here at Attensity are cheering for you. I so excited that you are there.

Gene

Anonymous said...

Zuzana, We saw the KSL-tv news clip about you---very nice! We love checking your blog and can't wait to cheer you on in the marathon in a few days. In HD, nonetheless!

Barr and Megan said...

zuzana
I wanted to add my hooray to the growing fan base you have in Utah. At first I didn't see your name on the list, then Carre corrected me and told me about your blog, I'm so excited for you. Good luck good luck, we will be cheering you on from far far away and will be excited for your return!!!!
megan petersen

skrashen said...

Good luck in the big race! I am sure you will be just as relaxed as Mike Phelps was when you get your medal!!!
Steve Krashen