Saturday, August 9, 2008

The day of the Opening Ceremony

I keep getting emails about how cool the Opening Ceremony was. Geat to know! Now seriously, you'd think that being here and all I should know the best, but I really did not get to experience any of it until our team walked into the stadium. In other words, we missed the whole show (we were at the indoor gymnastics venue waiting and though they had screens there, they were showing flags of different countries instead.... Every now and then they would show a little bit of the show just to interupt it by the flag display, which was always followed by the intense booing).

However, just as I was starting to feel like I missed out, we were in the tunnel leading up to the Olympic Stadium and I could feel the excitement building and culminating. When we finally walked from the dark tunnel into the stadium, the waiting seemed all worth it. I just tried to soak in the atmoshphere so I could remember the feeling forever....

The night was long, I did not make it back to my room until 1:15 am so I am feeling quite tired today. I am off to recover and will try to post something again tomorrow.



Slaven (a decathlete) with two great Slovakian swimmers... (Martina Moravcova on the left is a two time Olympic silver medalist)



Before leaving the Olympic village - with Slaven who qualified in the decathlon-he got his qualifier to the point. One point less (could be as little as a few centimeters in one of the jumping events or a few seconds in the last 1500m race....)


In the shuttle, on the way to the Opening Ceremony



With others on the Slovak team and a volunteer




While waiting I came acroos Rubin McRae (the New Zealand team)-a friend from the Western State College....




The back of Coby Bryant's head....




Outside of the gymnastic venue, waiting in line for marching toward the stadium




And just before the most magical moment of the night: walking into the Olympic stadium




Branca's photo of the march taken in Vancouver




Was he sweating or what?




These outfits looked really warm....



Athletes from Somalia, Netherlands...






Inside the stadium waiting for all the countries to march in....






The Fire Lighting Part.... I mean, seriously, is this the best one ever or what?






And it's time to go home....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were wonderful. Ivan was screaming: ZUzana, Zuzana...... I couldn't see it on time. I'm so happy you used the encore pic.
We are so proud of you!
Branca

tamrika said...

hi! it is sooo sooo exciting! congratulations from all of us, john, dagny and me. i am so happy for you, you deserve it and i hope you have the most amazing time!

Karen Marsh said...

You are my hero. My kids and I were so excited watching for you to come through. Colby has told several people that he met you in the Czech Republic and that you are in the Olympics. What an awesome experience; enjoy every minute of it. I am so proud of you and all of your hard work.
-Karen

Zuzana Tomas said...

Hello girls,
I am just being videotaped by some people from KSL as I am typing this, which is fun. It will be nice having a record of this experiece. Thank you so much for thikning of me and being excited for me! Tell your son he can count on a cool Olympic pin Karen!

Anonymous said...

Hi Zuzana,
we saw you in the opening ceremony on TV!! We were so excited and proud of you that you managed to be in the Olympics. God luck and we will cross fingers for you!!
Anezka and Josef Novy (and Anicka and Jana and Pepa)

K* said...

Hey Zuz--
We saw you, too. I watched the whole dang parade of nations waiting for Slovakia. Why can't they order things by the Roman alphabet? Sheesh! It was the coolest thing ever. Am so glad you got to see it in person. You looked darling, by the way. Thanks for waving your hat :). You were quoted in the Tribune this morning; I cut it out for you!
Sending good vibes from Utah--
Kristen

ww said...

Hi Zuzka! It is so fun to read your blog. I am cheering for you! :)

Paula said...

I watched the whole parade of nations but missed seeing you. You must have been swallowed up in the crowds!

I found your blog via a link on the U's homepage...check it out. I am having so much fun living the Olympics through your eyes...such insight and HUMOR!

Time to read on...but I'm wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Zuzana, i am so happy for you being in the Olympics. i hope you have lots of courage when you run your marathon. -Sam

Anonymous said...

I love your country and the outfits- you look cool.

Anonymous said...

You are such a hero! How wonderful for us all to be in contact with the Olympics so personally, thanks to your masterful, yet simple and interesting blog. The U of U sure knows good PR potential when they see it! Good for all of us. Thanks for making us a part of your family. I am so very proud of you and wish you the best for your run. Yuka and Attila send their love, too.
Imagine! you saw such neat people and good friends in the Czech Republic. The world gets smaller, and for the better. Rivka Levy