Sunday, August 17, 2008

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great".

These were the words from the League of Their Own that Aleksandar had for me as I poured my heart out over the phone to him about all my misfortunes during the Olympic marathon. Here is a quick re-cap:

Last night my stomach was upset, but I figured it was just nerves. I took some Pepto-Bismol and went to sleep, hoping it will sort itself out. In the morning I woke up at 4:30 and went over my pre-race routine. I caught a shuttle and got to the start at 6:30. All the great runners were there: Dena Kastor, Paula Radcliff, Catherine Ndereba, and I had a chance to say hello to Maria Portilla, who ran the Salt Lake City marathon, and Liza Hunter-Gullivan from New Zealand, whom I had met at a race in Minnesota earlier this year. The start was magical, though there were no spectators. The first kilometer I stayed with the group because, surprisingly, they ran slower than the pace I wanted to run, which was about 3:50 per kilometer. Then I ended up holding back as the group started moving faster. I ran side by side with a woman from Costa Rica—we had agreed to take turns running into the wind.

At 10k I saw Aleksandar and his dad, which was great. With the tight security in place, I did not think I was going to be able to hear or see them. The pace started to feel too slow—I was only running about 3:52s with the runner from Costa Rica—so I tried to push harder and pulled away from her. My stomach started feeling upset and I had to stop in the bushes—thanks to Sasha for the great "pit stop" tips!—at 18k and then in a road side portable toilet at 22k. I lost time and had to make up the distance on all the runners I had passed before I had to stop, which was about two minutes. However, I was feeling strong and found myself picking up the pace with each kilometer. At kilometer 29, about 18-19 miles, my calves started to cramp up. I was surprised because I drank at every station and had two gels. I remembered I had two ADVILS taped to my bottle at the 30k mark so I took them with water and gel. I was able to continue running at a good pace till the 35k mark. The walking coach, Juraj Bencik gave me my last bottle, yelling out I was in the 59th place. I focused on the runner ahead of me and told myself I had to get to her by 36k and then to the runner ahead of her by kilometer 37. I did.

At kilometer 38 I started feeling my legs, especially my hamstrings, which were getting really tense. I was not sure what was going on. I did not feel like I ran out of glycogen or anything like that since I was really, really good about my drinks. Like my friend Carre in the trials, I hang on to my bottle longer than anyone else. Suddenly, at kilometer 39, my hamstring just seized up in the worst cramp I had in my whole life. I screamed and stopped and kept on screaming, holding on to a huge lump in the middle of my muscle. I thought I tore it; it was the most excruciating pain I had ever experienced. I thought my Olympics were over for sure, but at that time I almost did not care. My whole being was just trying to figure out what was happening. Within a few seconds the medics were there. I was so lucky that they were not far from me. One of them was holding me, the other was massaging my leg, and the third stretching my foot. After about two minutes I was able to start walking and shortly after that I started running again. The crowds cheered and I remember telling myself, “Okay, the worst is over, you have three kilometers to go, you can do this. You can finish. You don't have to fail.”

I was able to get back to an okay pace—no more running 3:45 pace. Though I think I was just too scared that the hamstring would seize up again, I was running at least a 4 minute pace. My breathing was easy and I wanted to go faster, but I just kept telling myself that the goal was only to finish at that point. Now, at 40.5 kilometers, with not even a mile to go to the finish line, the cramp came back. I went down immediately. I grabbed the big knot that I knew all too well by now. The hamstring was seizing up and cramping and I was trying to massage it out with both of my hands. Tears of pain came to my eyes, but I knew what I had to do. I just needed to massage it out. Just do what the medics did a mile ago.

So there I was, completely pathetic, massaging my hamstring, looking jealously at the runners I had worked so hard to pass now zoom by me. They were paying back the words of encouragement I had for them when I had passed them, but it did not make me feel any better. I looked to the stadium. It was right there. I was next to it. I saw the Olympic flame, only I did not know if I was going to make it inside the stadium. I pushed back the tears and thought to myself, “If I have to sit here for half an hour until I massage this knot out, I will.” After about three minutes, I tried to get up and... SUCCESS! I was able to walk, wait… and to run again! I even tried to catch up with the last of the girls that passed me, but, within half a mile, my muscles, especially the left hamstring, was acting out again, so I just let go of everything and everyone and just let the crowd in the stadium carry me to the finish line. At least that's how it felt.

Peking 2008

I challenge anyone to provide a less flattering picture of themselves. Not exactly the typical finish line photo that media love. But I guess that's what cramps do to you.... I do hope I will have at least one other, less painful-looking photo from the race to keep…

At the finish line, I went down again with pain. But medics were available again to help me one last time. And then, I walked off the race of my life. The day was perfect. The course was perfect. My race strategy was perfect. My body gave up on me, but, upset as I am right now, I think that I will, with time, look back at this experience as perfect, too. I have never had to overcome obstacles like this before. The time might not have reflected my fitness and capability, but it is an official Olympic experience and my name will not be mentioned in the Olympic statistics with a “DQ” next to it.

Thank you all for sitting by your TV screens, watching me, cheering on me, praying for me, wishing me success. I thought of you at different times throughout the race—okay, not between 11-22k when all I thought about was finding a toilet.
J I cannot believe how lucky I am to have so many good people behind me. Thank you!
Now, I’m off to have some rest and I will write after Aleksandar and my evening at the track and field events tomorrow.

Note 1:

Official results: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/AT/C73K/ATW099101.shtml



P.S.: Novinari zo sportu spravu celkom dobre zhrnuli v Slovencine:



http://sport.aktuality.sk/oh-peking-2008/slovaci-v-pekingu/olympijsky-maraton-vyhrala-tomescuova-tomasova-bojovala-az-do-konca

35 comments:

Trevor said...

Zuzana Tomas, Olympian.

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Dear Zuzana,
You've made it. You've overcome all the difficulties. You are our inspiration.
Have a well deserved rest and look at some pics I sent you after the race.
Love you

Anonymous said...

Dear Zuzana,
What a story. You are Curt Schilling, bloody sock and all. You are a winner. Congratulations!
SK

Anonymous said...

ZUZANA TOMAS OLYMPIAN !

You've made it. It was a great Privilege for me, I have been there with My Son Aleksandar... We saw You, We touched You at The Olympic Blue Line, You was so great, but, we did't know for Your drama at the end of the race ... my wife Emilia did ... she saw You 'at the knees'...she was craying, and again the tears when You STOOD-UP ... ZUZANA YOU ENDURED, WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU ! NOW, YOU CAN MOTIVATE YOUR STUDENTS AND YOUR CHILDREN (!) WHAT MEANS THE FEELING OF ACCOMLISHMENT, OF MEETING THE CHALLENGES AND REACHING THE GOALS !
THANK YOU WITH LOVE DT

Anonymous said...

Congrats Zuzana, you make me proud!

Anonymous said...

Dear Zuzana,
We have just read your incredible story and drama of the race.

OUR CONGRATULATIONS - YOU ARE THE WINNER FOR ALL OF US, BECAUSE YOU DID NOT GIVE IT UP!!!

Anezka Nova with her family

Naomi said...

Wow, Zuzana!

You are my hero.

Naomi

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having the fortitude to continue on, despite having some problems with
your hamstrings/legs. You made us all proud! Thanks for your blog, it was a treat to follow you online.

Michelle Simonaitis

Anonymous said...

Well done, Zuzana, you've done it!!! All that hard work paid off.
Your whole story is so inspiring - it really amazes me how you didn't give up and persevered. The fact that you represented Slovakia in the Olympics is such an accomplishment.
Congratulations, you should be very proud of what you've achieved!
Eva, Kevin & Lucas

Unknown said...

You are our hero !

VJZ

Anonymous said...

Now and forever, YOU are my hero! I am so proud of you! What a great example you are to me. Thank you! Now go get some rest and enjoy the rest of your time there.

Jennifer V.

Anonymous said...

zuzana, congratulations! you have done a good job! you are really an olympian who dared to finish the race even with such adversity. i know what you felt during the later part of the race but you are still a "champion" to me. keep that "warrior" spirit in you. good luck!

bald runner
www.baldrunner.com

Anonymous said...

The others have pretty much already said it all: You are amazing and truly inspirational. I am so proud of you for having gotten past that finish line, especially with everything that was going on :)!

Unfortunately the Dutch television didn't broadcast the marathon and the Belgian television had it registered with the wrong time, so I am still trying to find some online posts to watch it, but even reading your blog just now was exciting and full of suspense:)! (oh, wait: this is one of those long sentences you warned me about;))

Anyway, Zuzana: I want you to know that you are my hero ( though you already were that before the race) and that I admire how well you do the things you do. You are a great example for the rest of us!

K* said...

HI ZUZ! Dan is really curious about the details of the port-a-potty situation. Do you just pee down your leg, or is that what the bushes are for?? Just kidding! Congratulations on your big achievement. We saw you on TV and you've made watching the games so much more fun and personal. The Trib printed your blog entry in Sunday's sports page, so now you can add budding journalist to your incredible resume! Have fun, give our best to Alex and your family, and know how proud we are of you!
Love Kristen & Dan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. That is an inspiring story, and you will look back on the race with pride for years to come. Very courageous race.

Linden said...

Goodness, that is an amazing story! What strength, mental and physical, you have to keep going in the face of that pain. You are so inspiring.

Way to go on a great Olympic race!

Cheers from Germany!

Anonymous said...

Couple things . . .

First Congrads! Second, I keep reading stories of Olympic athletes having stomach problems. Is it nerves or food poisoning or the water? Hope things improve for you. Finally, I was looking over the official results and saw they had your birth year listed. We are the same age and that makes what you have done and accomplished so much more inspiring. I'm sitting at home watching you do something and be part of something so big. It has inspired me to get off my butt, lose some weight, eat healthy and do something bigger with my life. Way to go and thank you for your inspiration. I am so glad you decided to blog.

Anonymous said...

Zuzana: Congratulations on finishing the race despite the hardships. Your're right--it is HARD. Good for you. Linguists rule at the Olympics!

Anonymous said...

ZUZANA TOMAS~~OLYMPIAN!! YEA***
We are SO PROUD OF YOU!
You are AMAZING and INSPIRATIONAL!

LOVE AND BIG HUGS from
Naomi and Don

(now get some rest and enjoy
you time in Beijing~
(Please say hello to Aleksandar)

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Zuzana! I really hope you know that. It made me physically ill to hear about your problems with your hamstring. Hopefully with rest it will be able to heal just fine. Have fun at the rest of the Olympics and I'll buy you some gelato when you get back if you give my email to Ryan Hall. :) Just kidding--enjoy and I am proud of you!!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Finishing the race with all the problems you had is way more impressive then finishing 15+ minutes faster. Great job! We’re proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Zuzana,

What a great accomplishment and experience. I know it wont take long before you look at the experience as also perfect. It has been thrilling to read your posts and experience the Olympics in a totally different way.

All my best!

Unknown said...

Zuzana,
I am so proud of you! Love the fact that I can say I know an Olympic marathon finisher! Thanks for sharing your journey. Can't wait to talk to you when you return.
Best, Corky

Anonymous said...

Zuzana,
Thank you for blogging during this monumental time in your life. Your perspective and honesty are extraordinary. I read your post-race post on the edge of my seat. Your efforts to pick up and go on are a new definition for Olympic, and I will recall your conviction and endurance for a long time. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing it all with us.

Anonymous said...

We've never met but I've been reading your blog and I just want you to know that you have been incredibly inspiring! Thank you for sharing this experience with all of us!
-Jenny

Anonymous said...

Zuzana, you should know the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper did a big story about you and your heroic finish and put it on the front page of the whole newspaper with a huge photo of you crossing the finish line!

Anonymous said...

Hey Zuz,
I've been watching you on the news and now you're front page on the tribune! I posted you on the fridge (a place of honor in our home). Your story has inspired our whole family (teenage daughters included). You hung in there with all the pain and finished. What a triumph! You made us all proud. Thanks for letting us feel apart of your Olympic experience. Enjoy a well deserved rest and the remainder of your time in Beijing with Aleskander.
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Zuzana,

You are amazing! I'm so impressed by your perseverance in the face of such extreme difficulty. It's very sad that the race did not go as planned, but your story really brings out the best of the Olympic spirit and lays open your strength of character for the whole world to see. Go Zuzana go!

Laurie A Ramirez said...

Zuzana,
I was out of town and worried that I would miss your big day but we were able to follow along. As I read your blog today, I found myself crying, but not for the difficulty you had but rather for the strength you found to overcome it and for the inspiration you have brought to everyone who has taken this journey with you in their hearts. I am truly proud to know you. Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment!

--Laurie

Unknown said...

For US located fans, you can see a video of the marathon at:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=at1h-bj-sd29-081708-072503&channelcode=sportat

(just answer 3 questions around your ZIP code and cable provider)

Zuzana's finish part is at time 2:55:00 (longer part already since time 2:54:22)

Vojta, Jana and little Zuzana

Anonymous said...

Once an Olympian, Always an Olympian.
Never Former, Never Past.

I for one, dig that pic.

-Tk

Anonymous said...

Zuzko !

Great run.
We took some screenshots from the NBC video.

Enjoy !

http://picasaweb.google.com/huser57/ZuzanaTomasOlympian2008Marathon


VJZ

Anonymous said...

Zuzana,

I think your feat was fantastic. To my mind, the only bad race is the one you don't finish. And the picture is worthy of framing (I think I have a cross-country pic of myself from high school that rivals it).

I can't wait to hear about all your experiences once you're back in SLC.

Happiness,
Randy

Anonymous said...

Zuzana,

You are an amazing woman. Thanks for sharing your blog with all of us. I ran my first half marathon this year and it was very challenging for me. Thank your not giving up and for inspiring me. You are awesome. Enjoy your much needed rest. Good luck. GO UTES!!

Anonymous said...

What you did was amazing. few people can run a marathon and only a slect few in the world (including you) can run in the olympics. sorry about the cramping but congratualtions on completing the biggest marathon in the world in a sub 3 time. And it makes me proud to say I go to the same school as an olympic athlete